Banking and Finance Law in UAE | Hire Expert Banking Lawyer in Dubai UAE
When it comes to banking system, UAE is one of the most advance, reliable and has highly developed banking infrastructure. This level of development has become attainable because of the strict government regulations and measures implemented by United Arab Emirates Central Bank.
The UAE Central bank oversees and monitor all activities of banks in UAE. The process of obtaining a license for opening a financial institution in UAE is very difficult and that is the primary reason why UAE banking sector has become one of the most reputable banking institutions. Central bank serves the function of the main regulatory authority in UAE. It is responsible for handling most important regulatory task such as currency management, details the monetary policy line and exercise and implements banking regulations.
The banking system of UAE is governed under the applicable Banking Laws, which includes The Central Bank Law; Law of Islamic Banks; Circulars relating to Anti-Money Laundering (AMLSCU). Recently, UAE issued Federal Law No. 14 of 2018 which provide the structure of the UAE Central Bank and the organization of UAE financial institutions and their activities. Under the new law, Central Bank is in charged with the following:
- Administer exclusive control over UAE currency
- Maintain and oversee UAE currency stability
- Develop and direct credit policy to enhance UAE economy
- Supervise the banking system to ensure its effective implementation
- Advisory function to the UAE government concerning financial and monetary issues
- Maintain the government reserves of foreign currency and gold
UAE Central Bank aims to ensure transparency of bank activities, for this purpose they issued regulations that define the guidelines the way of providing banking services. At the same time, certain requirements are imposed and standard list of supporting documents are required in opening bank account in UAE. Among these banking regulations includes:
- Prohibition on the issuance of credit cards and grant of loans over the phone by any banking institutions and financial companies;
- Maximum amount of personal loan that can be granted to a borrower is equal to 20 monthly salaries;
- No person or legal entity will be allowed to open a bank account unless confirmation of UAE residence has been met;
- Supporting documents that are mandatory in opening bank accounts includes: Passport with AUE residence visa or UAE citizenship, salary certificate or confirmation of source of income, NOC from the employer or similar document.
In addition, it is important to understand that each banking institution may apply its own compliance regulatory requirements at implement additional account-opening procedure and documentary requirement.
Hence, the new Banking Law of UAE bolsters the Central bank’s ability to implement effective and strict regulatory control in the banking sector which are in line with the international banking practices and standards. The banking system of UAE has been known to be one of the most secured and competent authority which guarantees the safety of every banking transactions across United Arab Emirates.
The UAE with its evolving financial Markets, require sophisticated Legal Advisors who understand the meaning of risk and reward. Our law firm in Dubai UAE has experienced Lawyers in the field of Local and international banking and finance Law, Banking Regulation and Customs and have executed complex transactions for corporate bodies, Banks, Funds and financial institutions.
The team has a wealth of experience amassed on a wide variety of projects, rescheduling debts and preparing Loan documentation in addition to providing legal advice on banking issues including Letters of credit, commercial mortgages and loans.