Employees Compensation for Occupational Injury | Dubai Labor Lawyers UAE
Federal Law No. 8 of 1980, UAE Labor law outlines employee’s right of compensation if they suffer injury at work. Under this law, more so with the assistance of a capable labor lawyer, employers are liable for workplace injuries sustained by employees.
Workplace injuries are defined broadly to include any accident sustained by the employee during their work or as a result of performing their work.
In addition to employees’ rights under the Federal Law No. 8 of 1980, employees can also bring claim against the employer under Federal Law No. 5 of 1987 (UAE Civil Code). However, under the Civil Code, the employee must prove the fault or negligence on the part of the employer in order to claim successfully.
UAE law guarantees safety of employee during work and therefore impose upon employers to ensure safety working environment to its employees. Employers are mandated by law to provide and have suitable health and safety guidelines in place, including policies and proper incident report protocol in order to promptly address and comply with the mandate of the Labor Law.
Below is the summary of the procedure and corresponding guarantees provided under the Labor law:
- In the event of injury sustained during employment, report must be immediately made by employees to the police and Labor Department or local office who has jurisdiction in the area where the injury took place. Investigation will be carried out thereafter.
- Copy of Investigation report will be sent by the police to the Labor Department and another to the employer.
- In cases of labor accidents, the employer shall be liable to pay for the treatment of the employee which includes hospitalization, medical test and medicines prescribed including rehabilitation.
- If the injury resulted and prevented the employee from performing his work, the employer shall pay him an allowance equivalent to full wage during the entire period of treatment or for a period of six month, whichever is shorter. If the medication requires more that six months or until the employee fully recovers, the allowance shall be reduced by half until the employee fully recovers, declared disabled or dies, whichever occurs first.
+ Article (147)
- Any dispute arises in regard to employee’s fitness for work or degree of disability shall be governed and shall be referred to the Ministry of Health through competent Labor Department. Medical Board will be formed to determine the matter related to the injury or treatment. Assistance of the expert may be sought, and the decision of the Committee shall be final and will submitted to the Labor Department for execution.
- In the event the occupational injury resulted to death of the employee, the person who at the time of death of the employee used to be entirely or mainly supported by the income of the descend shall be entitled to compensation equal to basic wage of the employee for 24 months, provided that the amount of compensation is not less than AED 18,000 or more than AED 35,000. Calculated as per the guidelines set forth under the Labor Law.
- Should the injury results to partial disability or permanent disability of the employee, compensation shall be calculated set forth under the Labor Law.
In summary, determination of the issues relating to the occupational injury shall be determined in accordance with the level or type of injury and the proportion of disability sustained by the employee. Contact our labor lawyers in Dubai for legal assistance.